REP/MINE/YOURS

( There is no reason for the appearance of Dr. Emilio Lizardo in this post. Other than I needed more Buckaroo Banzai on the blog! And really, doesn't everyone? )

As I was being killed yesterday by SUDDENLY FALCON! I was thinking about the razor's edge of reputation in Eve. For us low sec dwellers, reputation is rather important. Other people's reputation that is, and not necessarily our own.

We make judgements every time we encounter another ship in space, judgements often not based on what ship they may or may not be in, but on the reputation of the pilot or Corp/Alliance they happen to be a part of. Are they known for SUDDENLY FALCON or for dropping a Cyno at the first sign of trouble? Are they blobbers? Or runners? Do they embrace a good fight or run from the possibility of one?

And no self-respecting Low Sec dweller will admit that their own reputation matters to them, "Who cares what other people think?" is the usual refrain. And for the most part, they are right. Heck, I know I don't really care either.

Which is the double edged razor thing I mentioned earlier. It's all about perspective isn't it? It isn't a blob if its your gang killing the poor Retriever in the top belt. It isn't a Station Camp if you just happen to undock on some poor, ill-fitted Ferox sitting outside the station. You aren't a Noob Killer if you've been roaming for an hour and find an Ibis lighting a Cyno on a station ( I'm guilty of this one myself! ).

It does matter of course. But only in so far as it encourages more good fights. If other pilots think you'll pull a Falcon out of your ass every time you get into trouble... well, they may choose to move on. Or, even worse, they may escalate the opportunity and bring a Cyno along. And then you'll have no one to blame but yourself.

Reputation is extremely important. It is one of the main reasons why the Tusker Code is strictly enforced. It is also the reason why we spend so much time and effort talking about fittings and tactics in our Corporation. The last thing we need is a bunch of horrible ship losses or idiots... Well, except for me of course. They let me stay because Sulei loves me so much. It is kind of embarrassing.

Oh yes, I am terrible at Eve. Please tell your friends. Nothing to fear here.

I know, nothing terribly revelatory today. Forgive me, I wrote two frikkin' awesome posts yesterday and I'm a little tired this morning. Stayed up late last night.

Onward and upward.