BB#24: Real Life & Eve

{NOTE: Something about the Blog Banter post I wrote yesterday made the blog go haywire.  It must have been something that I copied over in the HTML, or the image I used, whatever it was it funked up the whole works.  So here it is again, re-posted without the image and cleaned up code.  I'll add the links and stuff a little later on today. Let's see how this works.}



Welcome to the twenty-fourth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week or so to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to crazykinux@gmail.com. Check for other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!

This month's Banter topic comes to us from the ever helpful Eelis Kiy, capsuleer behind the "Where the frack is my ship" blog. She asks: How does your real life personality compare to who you are as a character in EVE? Does a good leader of people in the real world make a good leader of pilots in game? Or vice-versa? Do your real-life skills help you with the roles you fulfill in your corporation or alliance? Or do you behave completely differently? Does the anonymity of the Internet allow you to thrive on the tears of others in New Eden whilst you work as a good Samaritan away from your keyboard? Or are you as mean outside of your pod as you are inside it? Have experiences in EVE Online affected your behavior, skills or attitudes outside of the game?

Real Life huh?

My real life and Eve life are one and the same in all major aspects.  Honestly I'm not that clever, nor am I capable of split-personality or long-term alternate persona generation, nor do I really care for role-playing (I gave that up when I stopped playing AD&D when I was eleven).  With Rixx what you see is what you get.

Having said that, there are differences.  But those come with the game and not because of any plan.  The game is a game and while I consider myself adventurous in real life, I might be a tad more careful with multi-million dollar assets than RJ is.

I don't really behave differently in-game.  Although the game allows you the opportunity to streamline your real world personality.  This is what I often believe people are actually referring to when they say they are "different" in-game.  They aren't really different, they are mostly doing what any practiced actor would do.  They are streamlining different aspects of their personality, the one they already have.  Enhancing some aspects and down-grading others.  It's the same thing we do at a party for example, when we want to meet new people, especially those of the opposite sex.  We try to enhance those aspects of ourselves that we believe others will like and down-play those we feel they may not enjoy.

I'm actually holding on to some of this for a future post I have planned once the upgrade to the character generator is released, so for now this will do.

Being anonymous isn't something I exploit. Although certainly others do, I can attest to that fact personally, having been the subject of some hackers recently.  I operate the basic way I do in both worlds.  Again, my in-game character allows me to enhance certain aspects more than others, RJ can be much more bull-headed than I can be because of the freedom he has in that world.  There are fewer consequences in Eve than in real life, exploding other people is encouraged in one and punished in the other.

I'm actually not that anonymous in Eve.  While I don't really want the two worlds to collide, I also don't really make an effort to hide my real self either.  I just don't see the point.  I treat people the same in both worlds, run my business the same way and other stuff.  The only difference is in how I treat my enemies.  In the real world I don't really have enemies per se, but in-game that is a different story.  And this is the one aspect that is significantly different from real life and one that forces me to act differently in-game.

Within the context of the game I am extremely ruthless when it comes to my enemies and the enemies of my friends.  Those enemies change, sometimes daily.  But there is no carry over beyond the game itself.  In fact, should I meet any of those enemies in real life, I'd enjoy sharing a drink and conversation with them.


Of course Eve affects my real life and vice versa.  How could something I do so much of and am so involved in, not?  I've had friends in-game, some of which I've known for over two years now, even though that is only virtual - it is still real.  Eve is a world that is as immersive as you let it be, and I've had my struggles with that in the past.  But it is a "real" world in and of itself, in all the ways that count and so many ways that don't.  Each death, each victory, each struggle, triumph, victory... all of these things are events that affect, impact and add to the vast ocean of experiences that constitute my life.

Ultimately my life is one thing.  It isn't split between one world and another, it is me and I am it.  Eve isn't outside my real life, it is a big part of that life.  We are one, as is so many other things that have nothing to do with Eve.  My family, my wife, my friends, my work, my hobbies, all those things that go into making me who I am.  That go into making us all who we are.

You cannot keep them apart.  Nor, do I believe, should you.


Other bloggers talking about the same subject (Probably better then I did):

Yarrbear Tales

Fiddler's Edge
Mikeazariah
Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah
Eve A to Z
A Mule in Eve
Freebooted

  1. Blog Banter: Personalities in game and out of game
  2. Fiddler's Edge: Game Face - Eve Blog Banter #24
  3. Progression's Horizon: Blog Banter 24- Synonymous or Anonymous?