New Things

Martian Siesta
Click to embiggen



I haven't posted in awhile because I've been unusually busy. We've been remodeling our home from the inside out for the past few years and this year, especially with the pandemic, has been more intense. We had unexpected flooding in the basement which meant fixing that problem, insurance, estimates, and then contractors who had to stop for the plague. All of which, I am happy to report, is finally completed as of yesterday.

In the midst of which we've been planning the next project, which is the home studio. Now with everyone home we decided to tackle the entire thing and make it a much better working space. Most of that work is happening this week. As if to add even more work to that, a few days ago I got a new piece of equipment I'm super excited about. The Wacom 32" Cintiq Pro that arrived late last Thursday evening. I've been using Wacom tablets since the early 90's for various things, but I've always found the parallax between drawing on the tablet and watching the screen to be a barrier. Since these new tablets arrived I've been itching to get my hands on one, you draw right on them. No delay, no weird parallax feeling, and the glass is even textured so it feels good doing it.

So I've been getting that set-up in the old studio and giving it some practice. The illustration above is the piece I finished yesterday using it. I think I probably re-started and re-did this thing four or five times, trying out brushes, techniques, and other approaches. I still have a lot to learn, but to be honest it really is just getting used to a new tool. Everything else I've been doing for 30+ years already.

So that's what I've been doing. And playing Eve of course.

More on that later.