Gooder Eve: Tactical Bookmarks


[ Gooder Eve is a series of on-going articles that examine ways in which Eve can be made Gooder.  Some are serious, some are not, but all are intended to create debate, dialogue, and discussion.  So enjoy! ]


I don't know about you, but I have well over 5,000 bookmarks spread across all of New Eden. At one time that number was closer to 12,000. But I recently took the time to purge the catalog of ancient, no-longer relevant bookmarks. I seriously doubt I'll need the 2009 CVA Jump Bridge network anytime soon, as an example.

Yesterday I undocked my Slicer and spent about thirty minutes of game time making a brand new folder set of bookmarks around our home station. It is good to do this sort of thing from time to time, plus people tend to hang out on our station and it annoys me not to have a spot next to them to say hello.

I fly combat primarily in Tactical Overview Mode, usually zoomed out far enough that my ship is little more than a wittle bitty dot. It was during this bookmarking spree, zoomed out as I was and enjoying the view, that the following idear hit me - I should be able to see my own bookmarked spots on the tactical overview!


My personal or Corporation bookmarks displayed on the tactical overview.

Not only is this a truly Gooder Idea, it is also amazingly awesome. And yes, it does indeed give some advantage to "home turf" pilots, an advantage they already have. All it really does is integrate two pieces of information that seriously should be integrated. Bookmarks are an incredibly important function and the tactical overview is supposed to serve as a condensed representation of important function. Naturally the two should be combined.

I made about 50 bms around my home station yesterday. Each one a slave to my own limitations regarding their naming convention. I decided the undock would be the origin point, so all bms are named from the perspective - 200k Front Direct, 175k Left Up, 400k Right Down, etc.

While tactical integration wouldn't eliminate the need for naming conventions, it would certainly help in making sense of them during combat.

I can't think of a compelling reason why this shouldn't happen.