Attempted Hack

Ok, that was a scary day and a half. This time yesterday I thought my account had been hacked and that I might have lost my character Rixx Javix, or at the very least all of his assets and potentially those of the Corporation as well.  Scary times.


No one could possibly be more careful with their account information than I am. It comes with the territory that I normally work within, I am sadly the target of literally thousands of spam emails a week. I've had days where I have gotten thousands in one day!  We do our best here at the HQ to stem that tide, but it's a battle that you always run slightly behind in.  Needless to say I am not usually one to fall for phishing or spam or anything else for that matter.


All I do know is this, in the last week I have received two email notices that someone was attempting to transfer a character to me.  These emails look like they come from CCP, here is one of them:





And no, I did not click on the link.  Instead I went to the Eve website and logged on to my account, I couldn't find anything about a character transfer and so I ignored the email.  (The one above is the one I received this morning.)


Yesterday I get an email from CCP telling me they suspect my account has been the focus of a hacking attempt and that they have scrambled my password.  All I need to do is follow the link to reset my password.  The link doesn't work, it sends me to a page on the Eve website that says that link doesn't work.  So I do the thing you do to have CCP send you a password email, in case you've forgotten it.  They do, but that link doesn't work either.  I tried that a few times and each time it doesn't work.


Now I begin to worry about things.  Which emails are correct?  Which ones are really from CCP?  I'm purposefully not mentioning that this is happening over multiple email accounts, but it starts to get confusing.


So I immediately logged onto my Alt to send the Corp an email telling them to remove RJ's Roles as Director, in case someone did hack my account it would be best to protect the Corp.  Then I filed a petition thru my Alt to make CCP aware of what was going on.  Hopefully all of this was on the up and up and would be taken care of quickly.


In the end I give CCP the credit for catching the attempt BEFORE it became real, scrambling my password and saving Rixx.  Well done guys.  The links they sent me worked fine this morning and I took care of securing RJ once again. 


I'm not sure the Character Transfer email is a fake or not, I don't know anything about it other than what you see above.  It might be legit, it might be evidence of how the hackers work.  Perhaps they are using character transfers to initiate their hacking?  I simply don't know.  But I thought I would bring it to your attention.  Forewarned is forearmed.


Honestly I don't know what I would have done had this turned out the other way.  Luckily I don't have to worry about it.


Thanks CCP!  I'm the first to criticize you and I am the first to give credit were credit is due.