Docking: Tactic or Cowardice? Revisited

I often make the mistake of writing as if my audience is as smart as I am. This isn't just a problem in Eve, it has also been an issue in Real Life. I often have to go back and re-write things to make them a tad easier to understand. Often, significantly easier to understand.


This appears to be the case with a recent post I wrote called Docking: Tactic or Cowardice?


In that post I made the argument that docking is an act of cowardice in the face of your enemies. I hoped that my (to me anyway) now famous tongue in cheek writing style would be apparent to anyone reading that post. But apparently not. So let me re-visit it briefly to explain what should have been as obvious as the nose on your face. If you already know what I am going to say you are excused, since you are obviously smarter than a fifth grader.


I have been in systems with hundreds of reds in local. (Can anyone say HED?) I've been in systems with any number of reds in local, from none to once over 2,000. So your numbers don't impress me. I used to sit on the gate in HED and bomb enemy blobs alone in my Manticore, so really, your little blob is not very impressive. That is just one example. So let's be clear however, when you are camping with 14-1 odds... do I really even have to say this?


Even I might dock in the face of those odds. There is cowardice and then there is stupidity. 


Now, I offered several times in local the opportunity for anyone to fight me and all I got was silence.


Would it be heroic to stand and fight the blob alone? No. As I've learned many times since starting to play Eve, there is no such thing as heroics in New Eden. The "hero" is the one left standing at the end of a fight. Certainly there are Hero tackles, Hero saves and Hero efforts that anyone can make in this game, but standing alone against 14-1 odds is only going to get me killed. And that is not heroics. That is lunacy.


As anyone who reads this blog already knows I am not a fan of blobs. A blob is easily defined, it is the creation of a gang of enough power to specifically kill anyone with lesser power. Putting a gang together to go roaming is not a blob, as it is as likely to catch one ship as it is hundreds. The focus here is on intent. When I am alone in system and someone wants me dead and they form up 8-18 ships to get the job done, that is a blob. Camping a station, campaign a gate, with the specific intention of having enough power on hand to kill whatever comes thru or undocks is a blob. Now obviously some Alliances in Null have to do this tactic sometimes to protect their space, that is understandable. (I still don't like it, mostly cause it is boring, but I understand the need.) But in low sec there is no need.


This is all semantics, but I thought it needed to be addressed. When my words get thrown back to me in local I guess it means I haven't done my job properly. So I hope that explains it in easy to understand terms.


Probably not.