Let's Bust some Myths

Things tend to accumulate, in life and in Eve, often leaving a long string of stories trailing behind us that can be confusing, misleading and just plain wrong. Sometimes these stories take on the mantle of "myth", superseding common sense and elevating themselves into common truth.

The same is true here on the 'ol Eveoganda and our trained staff of monkeys has been pouring over the posts, comments and history to pull out some of the better nuggets for me to address here this morning. For your illumination, rumination and - perhaps - ruination. In other words, let's get started.

MYTH: Rixx is angry/mad/upset/pissed off about being kicked from the Tuskers.

This sentiment seems rather rampant and couldn't be further from the truth. Think about this with me for a second, ok? How could I be angry when I got exactly what I wanted? Since the day I had to close Lucifer's Hammer I've been planning to start a new pirate corporation, you can read me saying exactly that in about a dozen different places in the archives. (Look it up, I often come right out and tell people my plans, but they rarely seem to notice.) It is true that the actual event happened about a month sooner than I expected, but being kicked from the Tuskers was a friggin' gift horse. Imagine how boring it would have been if I had just quietly left instead?

That fact in no way invalidates the stupid list of reasons for why I was kicked, which are still rather lame in my opinion. But whatever.


MYTH: Rixx is STILL angry and bitter about it?

That was six months ago. In that time Stay Frosty has grown from one new member to about 130, including many prominent bloggers, personalities, alts of famous people, and a great core group of exceptional pilots, including many who are trying out low sec combat for the first time. Heck we even have two TMC reporters in our roster, you know, the same TMC that I once said was ruining the Eve Community? Does that sound like a guy who carries bitterness around with him?

What people often confuse for "bitterness" is actually pragmatic team building. In American Football we call this the "Rivalry Game" and I'm betting European Football has its share of it as well. We live in the exact same system as the Tuskers, so naturally they are our Rivalry Game. On University campuses you'll often see the rivals burned in effigy, mocked, teased and otherwise poked at in order to pump-up the home team. With me so far? No? I am the CEO of Stay Frosty and I am their greatest cheerleader. You made me say it.


MYTH: Rixx is a liar.

This one is hard to bust. You only have my word on it and it can be almost impossible to prove. I don't feel the need to "prove" my truthfulness simply because there is no Governing Committee of Blog Truthfulness that I am aware of. I can only point back at over four years of faithful, almost daily, blogging and advocacy, at event creation, at holding donated assets (over 50b in total, every last cent of which was just given away!), helping the community, providing advice, artwork, and support and say, "well?". If that ain't good enough for you, then you obviously have another agenda in my opinion.

I freely admit that the "truth" I write about is heavily tinged by my own personal perspective, agenda and goals. Just like all truth by the way. If you haven't learned that life lesson yet, then it is about time you did. Wake up.

[And for those four pilots, you know who you are, combining three convos into one is not lying. I wish I still had the originals but I don't, because I didn't care enough to save them! That is exactly how insignificant it was.]


MYTH: Rixx creates the news.

Ok this one is kinda true. Let me try to explain. The other night I was talking to one of our Directors who was going through a rough patch and they asked me a simple question, "Why does this stuff seem to be happening to me?" My answer was also simple, because that is the kind of player you are. In fact, we are a lot alike. There are players that have spent their entire careers with one Corporation, or in one corner of New Eden, or doing one job, or otherwise blending into the scenery. Nothing wrong with that, in fact I applaud them. But there are other players, like the Director and myself, for whom things happen. Over and over again.

By our very nature we are complicit in this, because we refuse to settle, we challenge, we incite, we ask questions and we act. This blog didn't create me, I created this blog to record my adventures. I was having those adventures before the blog. Things happen to me and I freely admit that I am often complicit in them.

For example. I could have easily just wandered off after I left the Tuskers, goodness knows I had enough offers ( and thanks again!) but I didn't. Not only did I create a new corporation, but I planted it right across the street from my old one. Fully aware of what that meant. So yeah, in a way, I do create my own news. Sue me.


MYTH: Rixx has it in for Sully.

Take a look at this link. I'll wait.

That was something that happened FIVE years ago. Did I personally know Aralis? Nope. I mocked him because he was the head of CVA. That's what we do. And for all of that, if I met the guy in a bar I'd buy him a drink. This is a game people. If Sully and I ever do meet someday, I'd buy him a drink also. Swap stories, laugh about Eve, get really drunk and then abandon him in a dark alley somewhere. Just kidding, sheesh you people need to lighten up.

He is the dictator of the corporation in the other station. Y'know the one that has us War Decc'd, station camped, ECM'd, insta-locked?! That one? Yeah.

I said it again yesterday, all we care about is good fights. That is all it really comes down to. BUT, and this is a big BUT. If the above continues then I will continue to mock, I have a long history of doing that right here on this blog and I see no reason to stop now. It's fun. It gives birth to some great creativity. And it keeps things interesting.


My loving wife, who recently started reading Eveoganda, pointed something out to me the other day. She noticed that after I cause some kind of stir I tend to follow it up with yet another post about how this is my blog,  I can say what I want, you people don't understand, something along those lines. It is true. You seem continually amazed by the goings on here, when they've been going on for over four years now. I haven't changed.

And I ain't gonna.