Justice League Trailer



I'm an unbiased comic book geek, I enjoy Marvel, DC, and lots of others. Always have. The "house" has never really mattered to me as much as the stories and the creative teams working on them. I admit to growing up in my early years primarily on Marvel Comics, but this was back in the rotating rack in the corner store days - so my choices were rather limited. Once the comic explosion happened in the early eighties - everything changed.

I would like to live in a world where all the comic movies rule. I'd like to enjoy well crafted and well told stories featuring great heroes and awesome bad people. I don't really care if they are Marvel/Disney, DC, or Marvel/Fox, or whoever.

Having said all of that the new Justice League trailer has me worried. Eight months out from November and they decided to drop this thing, probably before it was 100% ready. The CGI effects on Cyborg look like they need some more work. But even beyond that this thing has some areas that give me pause and cause some concerns.

Once again we are looking at Zack Synder directing and right off the bat that can be a hit or miss proposition, mostly miss lately. While I enjoyed huge chunks of Man of Steel, overall the movie was more fail than failure. Some truly odd choices that didn't make much sense. And BvS last Spring was just a holy mess of mistakes compounded on top of each other. Again, some of it wasn't horrid, but the overall story was just so lame it doesn't matter. Parts of it physically hurt to watch.

With all of that in mind, some concerns. This still "looks" like BvS, same grimdark lighting and de-saturated color schemes. Some '300' style studio stage looking green screen work. And a huge pile of CGI work. One wonders if the Sun ever shines in the DC Universe? I get that we have a few jokes thrown in to lighten things up and they work, just like anyone with any intelligence at all could have guessed - but everything still feels extremely heavy and self-serious. There is a weight to everything that feels self-imposed and that comes with a certain level of danger for this movie. Frankly if it plays things much like BvS did its going to be raked over the coals. Even if it doesn't deserve it.

Aquaman and Wonder Woman are awesome.

Like I said, eight months to go and maybe things will look better as we go along. Hope so. Right now I'm excited for the movie, just hoping it is much better than the last two entries in the DCU.