I Love My Job


Yesterday while I was derping my expensive Astarte alone against five opponents it occurred to me - I have like the best job in all of New Eden. I know, this does seem somewhat counter-intuitive, but let me spend an inordinate amount of copy trying to explain.

After almost five years of being the CEO of Stay Frosty, not to mention everything else, it is virtually impossible to play this game normally. I'm as likely to get a fight in a new system as I am to get a, "Hey Rixx! Love the (insert thing here). Huge fan!" comment in local. It happened six times yesterday alone. Please don't get me wrong here, I love that. And I sincerely appreciate the comments. But it does tend to illuminate my rather unique challenges. Challenges I'm more than willing, and to be honest - happy, to embrace. It is awesome frankly.

Just me undocking can cause content to happen. Things can be slow around town and then suddenly they start to pick up and content tends to find me. Granted that often means that I get shot first A LOT. In a five man gang I'll usually be the one the other guy shoots first. You can't blame them. I don't blame them. In fact I expect it. On Friday I undocked and joined a couple of corpmates a few jumps away in my Comet. Our very first fight I get primaried. I said on comms, "Typical Rixx moment." And flew back home to re-ship.

My game, my killboard, my actions, everything I do in-game is not about me at all. It is about my Corporation and the pilots that fly with it. I generate content for all of us and for the Alliance at large. I spend all of my efforts, and my isk, to try and make the game more exciting for them. I believe very strongly that is my role as CEO. And it is one that I enjoy very much. Yeah, it also means I had to move past my own personal goals a long time ago - but it also means that I can take joy from the accomplishments of others in our group. And that is pretty damn cool. Those have become my personal goals.

You see, I don't fly for just myself anymore. I haven't for a long time. I fly for Stay Frosty and for A Band Apart. I'm the lightening rod. I self-generate content. I'm certainly not the only one, a lot of our pilots have grown into that role themselves over the years. It is, after all, really what the mission of Stay Frosty is. One for all and all for one. That kinda thing.

In other words, I am extremely proud to be the CEO of Stay Frosty and of everyone in A Band Apart. I can't imagine doing anything else. And I'm really looking forward to the next five years. I have the best job in the world. Or the universe.


NOTE 1: If you are a USTZ player looking for a great corp of players that love the pew-pew to join, might I suggest Stay Frosty. With my full-time job USTZ is my new home and while we have 300+ pilots spread across time zones, we could use some more company in that one. As always, Stay Frosty is OPEN recruitment - you want in you get in. Come fly with us. It's fun.

NOTE 2: Stay Frosty and ABA are both rapidly moving towards an amazing milestone. Sometime within the next few months we will both hit the 100,000 kill mark! That is going to be an incredible milestone accomplished in less than five years. Keep blowing stuff up everyone. I never imagined we'd get this far back when it was just me and this crazy idea. So cool.

NOTE 3: Yarrr!