Blog Banter: Arena Combat

It seems the Blog Banter is sweeping the blogs once again, this time a topic suggested by Stan over at Freebooted based on a topic Kirith brought up based on playing World of Tanks.


Kirith Kodachi recently discussed the idea of what a World of Tanks style quick-match element would bring to EVE Online. Would the opportunity for a quick combat interest you? How could it be implemented? Could it be done without having a negative impact on existing gameplay elements? Or does such a concept have no place in EVE?




This topic is a bit of an old one for me, as I wrote two Gooder Eve posts on it back in March. The first was a more general idea regarding Fight Clubs and then that morphed into a more specific idea called THUNDERDOME.


The rules regarding Thunderdome came about because the general consensus seemed to be, at the time, that such arena type combat couldn't be made to work within the confines of Eve. Such blanket statements don't sit well with me, so I went about coming up with rules that actually worked extremely well. I win.


What many of my readers sometimes fail to realize however, is this - just because I write about something doesn't mean I actually want, believe, or otherwise endorse it actually happening. This is true to greater and lesser degrees depending on the topic, but typically I write things to stir the pot, get people thinking and hopefully - thru that process - we can all learn more and think thru problems together. This sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. But I like to think it is at least entertaining.


Thunderdome is a great example of this process. I do not like the idea of Arena style instance combat within Eve and I do not think we need it. Just because I could come up with some way of making it work in-game, doesn't mean it should actually be done. In fact, I hope it isn't. 


I've read my fellow bloggers posts on the subject and they all make great points, both pro and con. And as hard as some are trying to make such an instance work, they don't.  Because of one simple, fundamental, basic fact - Eve is not an arcade game. To add an arcade element to the game, no matter how well intentioned, would (in my humble opinion) destroy the very fabric of what makes Eve great, challenging and harsh as Hell. Any type of arena combat removes the unknown, the unexpected and other things that start with "un".


Since March I have been more and more involved in a different type of play-style within Eve. My previous experience having mostly been based around Null sec Alliances, since the beginning of the year I've been living a more Pirate based existence. Having said that I've come to understand even more than before, how easy it is to get a good fight in Eve. You just ask. In fact I can tell you that if you fly into say Hevrice, Lisbotrain, Adirain or any of the surrounding systems and ask for a 1v1 in local you are more than likely to get it. Not always of course, sometimes we are doing other things, but more often than not. I can also tell you that most, but not all, Pirate pilots honor 1v1s. 


I think it is possible to build an Arena style option into Eve. I also think some of my fellow bloggers have some interesting ideas about that, as well as the Thunderdome concept of course. And I am NOT opposed to the idea 100%. I always try to keep an open mind about everything.


So I am not going to go as far as saying it can't be done (because I proved it can) or that it shouldn't be done (although I am leaning that way pretty hard) or that it doesn't have certain possibilities (because clearly it does), so I remain ready to be convinced. But I remain unconvinced.


Other opinions:
Kuro Mayuri: Exploring all New Eden has to offer
Kirith Kodachi: World of Tanks - lessons to be learned
Seismic Stan: Suddenly Combat: World of Spaceships
Arydanika: Blog Banter: Competition Arenas
Harrigan Vonstudly: Blog Banter: Quick matches. Eveharmony?
Drackarn: Eve Blog Banter - Quick Matches
Rhavas: NECL Season One
Noise: Arena PvP
Ender Black: Blog Banter: Quick Matches
Mike Azariah: Blog Banter: Pinks