Book of Boba Fett

 


I'm the kid who saved up his Proof of Purchases so he could get his hands on the original Kenner Boba Fett action figure. Which I still have to this day. I have a pair of Boba Fett shoes. I could go on. Point being, me and the bounty hunter from space go way back. Is Boba my favorite Star Wars character? Probably not, but he is up there. I wanted to set the table for a complicated discussion about the recent Disney+ show that finished its run yesterday. I must warn you that this post will try to remain spoiler free, but I will be talking about the show and the direction. So be warned. I make no promises.

Can a show be both incredibly entertaining and well made, while at the same time be incredibly frustrating? The Book of Boba Fett is such a show for me. And while I loved every minute of it for purely entertainment value (minus some weird moments with the Mods and their slow speed chases), I also felt generally robbed in ways I wasn't expecting. We can argue the finer details all day, and which Director is better or worse, or what it all meant in the end - but there is really just one major complaint that I have. So let's examine this major underlying issue.

Boba Fett was a passive tourist in his own story. It wasn't until episode three that Boba learned details about the gangs in control of the city he wanted to rule. Boba essentially glided thru his own television adventure without making a single major decision, decisive move, tactical deployment, or strategy engagement. Things happened to Boba. Boba never happened to things. This, I believe, was a horrible mistake story wise. Boba was given a Rancor. The Hutts decided, on their own, to just wander off after making threats. Boba's only real decision was to engage the spice train with the tribe, other than that single decision, the rest of the show just went on around him.

Now I understand that Boba was not 100%. Boba has aged and is transforming into a good guy. I get that. But such things do not preclude him being more involved and engaged in his own story. He is the main character after all. A few major decisions up front probably would have avoided all the issues in later episodes and perhaps the story could have gone in different directions. More propulsive directions. More engaged. More exciting? Possibly.

Look, we all knew up front that he was going to need more people to help him achieve his goals. But Boba didn't seem all that concerned about it for a really awkwardly long time. Why? Having him be more thoughtful and engaged with his wants and needs wouldn't change anything, but it would make us care about him achieving those goals. Boba was extremely passive for most of this show and I find that to be a weird choice for an action figure.

I loved the show. I enjoyed it. It was eye candy of the highest order. But it could have been great. It failed to transcend. And that's a shame really. Still, Boba did ride a Rancor at the end and that is awesome. And maybe that is all this show ever wanted to be? Just good, solid eye candy.

But Star Wars, as much as it is about the visuals, is also about deeper things. It's always been about underlying themes, about desire, adulthood, good and evil, choices, consequences, and things that matter. Heart. And while I think this show wanted to be about something, it really missed the chances it had built for itself. And I really think that choosing to make Boba a tourist in his own show was the underlying mistake that cost the show its chance to elevate itself.

But hey, Obi Wan starts in May!!