Comic Art

 


As time goes on this blog will slowly and steadily start to include a wider variety of topics and artwork from your friendly neighborhood pirate. This will always be an "Eve First" place of course, but this is my platform and I sometimes like to talk about other things. I recently took some time away from writing posts (about 4 days or so) just to help clear my head. Tomorrow was supposed to be my Father's date for open heart surgery, but it got postponed until another time. So that was also weighing on my mind.

I've also been hard at work on networking and taking meetings and updating my portfolio and working on new projects since the beginning of the year. And I already have some really interesting and potentially exciting projects either in discussion, or on the schedule already. So things have been moving forward in a positive direction since I made the decision to go at this full-time again.

I also just finished that piece at the top of the blog post today. That is a piece of John Byrne art that I found on-line in black and white, so I decided to spend some time and colorize it. I love comics and I started my career by working in comics briefly during and after art school. I had some success early on with a few independent publishers, and even self-published a book of my own for four issues. I even wrote regular columns in fanzines and once wrote several issues of a comic as a ghost-writer for someone. But then the real world happened. My creative partner at the time, who was doing pencils on a 48 page Halloween special for Caliber Press, got cold feet and bailed half-way through the project. At the same time my own graphic design career was taking off and the rest is history. It was much more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

Fast forward thirty years or so and here we are. And maybe there is a way to get back into the business or possibly just have fun coloring pieces like the above. Who knows. If you are interested in seeing more of my comic colorist work you can see it over at this link.

Anyway, back to Eve.