1,800 Pods Later

 


Four years ago I wrote a post called "Why Do We Pod" and gave some background regarding the evolving state regarding my attitude around podding pilots after a fight. The TLD;DR of that post is simple - I started playing Eve in Providence where we were taught not to pod pilots because that meant they could get home faster and re-ship. Then I went into Low Sec and ransoming expensive pods was a way to make ISK. Then that changed. And podding became a way to keep my sec status at -10.

That article was written over 1,000 pods ago. So I thought I'd take a moment to see where my evolving attitude about podding has gone over the last four years. I've now podded 1,805 players and been podded myself 195 times (most of which happen during Null Sec roams). 

These days podding breaks down into several categories depending on the engagement. The other day I warped in on a large FW plex and a pod was just sitting outside the plex. I boated over and podded it. Didn't think twice about it. These are what I call "Venture Pods" because I treat them the same way I do Ventures - if they are in front of my ship I'll take it. I don't hunt Venture Pods anymore than I hunt actual Ventures, but if I land on one I'll take the kill. Same way I take lost drones. Or open lost containers. Or any of a dozen other examples of "found" wealth in-game. These are just background content opportunities.

If I'm flying solo and someone gives me a good fight I still let their pod go free. Having said that there are several conditions. First of all, do they want podded? Some pilots will ask to be podded and I am more than happy to oblige that request. They can often be far from home and getting podded is the fastest way back. I've done this myself when far away, although these days I'm more likely to self-destruct home. Second, do they actually warp off after the fight? I can't tell you how many times they just sit there. If they are an older player I'll just blap that pod immediately, because they should know better. But if they are young or inexperienced I will often try to convo them or give them fair warning in local. I even sometimes provide a short countdown.

During roams the entire set-up is out the window. Stay Frosty pilots are blood-thirsty savages in a gang and often the enemy has been podded faster than I can lock them up. Pods are just popping all over the place. I often say that FC'ing a gang of pirates is like herding cats and that is not untrue. 

Lots of things have changed over the years when it comes to our capsules. We used to pay for clone upgrades and if you didn't keep your pod equal to your skill points you ran the risk of losing skill points when you got podded. Crazy huh? Yeah Eve used to be a much crueler and evil game. These days we have no worries about losing skills and clones are much, much easier to deal with. Getting podded isn't the huge pain in the ass it used to be.

Nor is my Sec Status. I spent nearly a decade keeping my sec status at -10. These days it fluctuates between -10 and -9 a lot depending on what we've been doing. A few null sec roams and gate rats can mess things up. But it doesn't matter anymore. There is no real difference.

Podding isn't really part of my game play and it certainly isn't a priority or anything. It is just part of the fabric, the environment we find ourselves in.

Which, to be honest, is probably for the best.