The April Fool

 


For the past decade I've been teasing various "mainstream" entertainment expansions based on Eve IP, usually around April Fool's Day. This past one was a doozy and generated tremendous response over on Twitter. At last count the tweet has reached nearly 10,000 views in total. Obviously the community would be incredibly excited should it ever be real news that someone was taking the IP seriously enough to do something like this.

Way back in the 2010-2012 era of playing Eve Online I wrote an outline for a short-film based around the kidnapping of Empress Jamyl. Back then I was producing a lot of television commercials and had friends in the business on both coasts, producing a short-film would have been relatively easy with the right funding. But things were a lot different back then and I couldn't generate enough serious interest in the idea to put my full weight behind it. So it never went anywhere.

There have always been other rumors. Some of which had actual weight behind them. It was officially known at some point that Ridley Scott's production group Scott Free Productions had secured rights to move the IP into some form of entertainment vehicle. And, at one point, I remember the Icelandic Director Baltasar Kormákur being linked to a potential project. But again, not much (other than the Dark Horse comics) has ever really surfaced in any significant way.

Luckily we have Clear Skies and I know Ian is hard at work on Clear Skies IV because I've been helping him with it for over a year now. We are all huge fans of Ian's work and I'm looking forward to seeing the new chapter when it is completed. 

Eve is turning 20 years old this year and it remains a unique and interesting science fiction universe with tremendous potential for expansion - in my humble opinion. All it needs is the right person in the right places to see that potential and understand how best it could be brought to life. 

I remain hopeful. But until then, I'll keep stirring the pot over here as best I can.

You never know when something might hit the right person.