Bugs in the System

 


I was once FC'ing a group of 20 or so players down in Curse one day when we all jumped through the star gate into the next system - except half of us ended up about 12 jumps away from the other half. That was back in 2009 or so. Last week I lost a Comet because the guns wouldn't activate during a fight. A few days later I lost a pod because it wouldn't warp. They other day while FC'ing our weekly roam, I had duplicate ships on my overview when entering local. One of our Alliance mates had a rough week in the Abyss and lost two ships in two days to strange events. I could go on and on about the small things that happen inside of Eve. They never end.

I play Eve on a Mac, always have. That used to be the kiss of death before the native version was finally released. Back in the day, between the wonky mac client and my often wonky country cable connection, I would lose about 20% of my fights to technical issues on average. Late responses, server ticks, disconnections, lag, and weird glitches that often went unexplained. Like suddenly finding yourself on a gate even though you never warped there. These issues got to be so annoying that, in some measure, they directly contributed to me leaving null sec in search of something else to do with my time. This wasn't the only reason, but it play a part.

These days that percentage is down significantly. I estimate that about 10% of my losses these days are a direct result of bugs in the system, connection issues, server lag/ticks, and unexplained events. Which is much better, but still not great. These days the effects are much more subtle usually. Half the fleet doesn't end up in another location anymore - but the results are still the same. Eve can be rather buggy. When you play it as often as I do and pay as much attention to the smallest details, which I have to do in my line of work, you notice.

I never let any of these issues bother me. I just take it in stride and continue on. There is nothing to be done, no system runs perfectly, and these errors are natures way of self-correcting my barbarity. This is what I tell myself. Most of the time I don't even bother to report them, but I often do. It depends. It can sometimes get annoying, especially when they stack up on you. But generally I just shrug and move on to the next thing. 

The bugs are there. But they are not annoying enough to impact my game play. So I lose a few ships each month to some annoying malfunction, I lose more to human error and my own bad judgement. I get bored and make dumb mistakes and I lose 50% of my losses to that idiocy. The rest are blobs, gate camps, and other terrors that can't be avoided. But when you are winning 80% of your fights, it really is no big deal.

In fact, one could conclude that these bugs in the system are character building.

If anyone tells you that, be sure to tell them they are an idiot.


What is the weirdest thing Eve has done to you recently?