After Fanfest: Part Two

 


Beyond a doubt the biggest thing for me at this Fanfest was the first public appearance of the Eve Board Game - War For New Eden. This was the first time since February that I've had a chance to not only see the game in real life, but to also meet the team from Titan Forge in person. 

Roman Lakomiak - CD at Titan Forge

Needless to say I was both excited and nervous about this. Excited for the community and for the potential I think the game has on its own merits. And nervous because of obvious reasons. I was extremely confident everything would go well, and it certainly exceeded my expectations. While the game is not 100% ready for prime time yet, the prototype looked amazing in person. Especially the 200% showcase version out front. I was amazed how many people genuinely wanted that version! It happened so often that Roman actually started to consider it as a potential option.

CCP Burger plays the normal sized version

Once I get all my photos downloaded and organized I'll share more of them from the event. But for now I will tell you that the feedback and reactions I saw at Fanfest were extremely positive. Everyone I spoke to that had a chance to play the game seemed pleased with it and felt it "captured the Eve spirit" in board game fashion. Which was always our prime driver. To make a game fun to play on its own merits while also capturing the spirit and energy of Eve Online. Not an easy task, but from what I heard from play-testers - I think we are on the right path.

The team from Titan Forge is off to Germany to show the game at a board game focused convention here in a few weeks - so I'll be anxious to hear how it plays with normals. I suspect the results will be more mixed, but the game will continue to largely bring positive comments and feedback.

There is still a lot of work to get done. Our goal right now is to have the game ready to launch around the end of the year. Roman wants the game to be ready for launch before we launch, instead of launching a bunch of promises like so many other KS tend to do. I agree with this strategy and think it is the best way forward. Otherwise we could have launched months ago. 

If you haven't yet, take a moment and go sign-up for the KS - for more information and to be alerted when it launches.

More about this project to come.

Still hard to believe this is real.