14 Years of Eveoganda

 


This month marks the 14th Anniversary of Eveoganda. Back in January 2010 I wrote the first post of what would become an insanely wild journey, crossing oceans, exploring creativity, bashing my head against walls, and going from a soldier in Null Sec to the Pirate Lord of Low Security space. Over 5 million visitors would read these words and look at my art in these pages. I would write over 3,000 blog posts over that time frame. Post thousands of pieces of art, make insane predictions, express wild opinions, drive changes in the very game we all play, and generally (often) be a major pain in the ass. But all with good humor, self-deprecating flair (if often misunderstood), and a genuine attempt to keep everything entertaining and fun.

My readers traveled along with me on this bumpy road. I would, to the chagrin of many vocal opponents, often become very personal in these pages. I would share things that others felt I should not share. And yet I did it anyway without regret. I would often bash my head against the bullies I saw in the community and get chastised for it. Drug through the mud, shamed, called names, DOX'd, and threatened. And yet persist and endure. I have outlasted my critics. I have stood on the ruins of those self-same bullies. I have, somehow, endured far longer than I could ever have imagined back when I first came up with a new word - Eveoganda. Back then, in those days, I was the self-proclaimed Minister of Propaganda for Provi Block in a little Alliance named Libertas Fidelitas LFA. Believe it or not, the Alliance Executor of that Alliance and I remain friends to this day and I still work with him from time to time. These are the kinds of bonds that Eve gives us if we are willing to nurture them.

It has been an incredible journey. My goal was a simple one when I started this blog. Simply to have a place to share the art I was just starting to explore within the Eve community. And to chronicle my own journey, share stories, and hopefully entertain a few players. My goals were extremely modest. Back then the blogging community was vital and full of energy. Eve bloggers were everywhere. The blogging community was busy, engaged, and full of talented writers. I was just one of many. Fourteen years later I am one of only a very few remaining tied to this now ancient form of communication. Most young players tend towards the video or streaming options these days. So a few of us old dinosaurs remain typing away on our keyboards.

Today I have an Officially Licensed store front up and running where I can share my Eve Art with the community. And for the past year I've been hard at work on an incredible Board Game project that will shortly be launching on Kickstarter. I could never have imagined these things would come to pass. I'm extremely proud to have been the champion of that movement over the years forging the path for others to follow. I have the bruises and the cease and desist letters to show for it - but again, I just refused to give up. And isn't that, ultimately, the real lesson to be learned here?

If Eve can be said to have one singular overriding lesson it has to be this - never give up. The game itself is weighted towards that goal. The only true measure of success is constant engagement, never surrendering is the only way to truly win. People who step away from that theme even call what they do "winning" Eve in a mockery of that reality. In many ways, life is just like Eve. The only way to truly win is to keep playing and never give up. I would hope that my own story inspires you to see the truth in that sentiment. I never give up and nor will I until that day, hopefully far from now, when I have no other choice.

I didn't give up on having artists given a chance to sell their artwork. I didn't give up on getting Warp Core Stabs dealt with in-game, or the Vagabond frills, or on Factional Warfare, or on a hundred other goals. I didn't give up on getting a game made based on Eve. My first attempt at that dates all the way back to 2010 - it took 14 years! Of never giving up.

Damn.

16 years and 4 months I've been playing Eve Online. For 14 years of that time I've been writing about my journey in these pages. Thank you for reading along and sharing my journey. I wouldn't have made it without you. It is no fun fighting the good fight without friends.

Thank you.

How much longer will this thing go on?