Some Minecraft

 


When you have four boys you tend to play a lot of Minecraft. It is one of the phases. So Minecraft has always been around in our lives. I learned and forgot how to make contraptions, or get to the Nether, or build a survival base a whole bunch of times. I probably don't remember any of that as I type this. But a long time ago my survival base got really, really big. It included castles, and small villages, and miles and miles of intricate underground tunnels. And then, one day POOF - the file got corrupted. After that Minecraft was forgotten.

Until 2018 when I was sitting at work one day bored out of my mind during lunch. It is a very long story and I won't bore you with the details. That's when I discovered what was called Minecraft Java back then. I downloaded it and started noodling around with it again as a time waster while I ate my lunch. Usual survival mode stuff to get started. The old pistons started firing again. But I remembered the old gigantic file that had been lost and I stated to wonder - what if I did something with this instead of just surviving again?

And that is when LUNCH was born. A couple of minutes at a time here and there. Long stretches of nothing, even almost forgetting about it a few times. But eventually six years have passed and this project has gotten rather large again. Finally to a point where I thought it was worth sharing at least some of it with you.

Lunch is my meditation. It gives me a creative outlet that doesn't require stress and helps me open my mind and forget about the problems at hand. Five or ten minutes here and there and it really helps. Some of the building you see in this video took months to complete. A few stretched over a year. It is in constant evolution and change, constantly being torn down and re-built. Added to. Adapted. Evolved. My one over-riding goal was to make this an actual city for Minecraft people and not a recreation of a real world city. There are a lot of those around the internet already. For example, my city doesn't have roads. It has pathways, and steps, and bridges, but it is a walking city. Minecraft doesn't have wheels, or circles, so cars do not exist. It does have a complex underground subway system, which is in the process of being upgraded - so it doesn't feature in the video.

I hope to create more videos featuring LUNCH. There is a lot more to see and share. But we'll see. This isn't a real project, or a career project, or a project that I expect to earn anything from doing. It's just a weird side project that I tinker with from time to time when the mood strikes me.

Like one of those dudes building a house out of soda cans or something.

Oh great. Now I've got that image stuck in my head.