Welcome to the twenty-sixth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week or so to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Check for other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!
This month's topic was proposed by @KatiaSae of the much praised "To Boldly Go" blog. Katia asks: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As an astrophotographer, I've found it in the stars and planets of New Eden. Where have you found it? Perhaps you've found beauty in the ships we fly? Maybe it's the sight of profits being added to your bottom line? Or maybe it's the pilot portraits you see in the comm channels? Where ever you've found it, write about it and post an image." Don't be afraid go beyond the simple visual aspects of EVE as well. Is the EVE Community in itself a thing of beauty? What makes EVE the game, the world, the Community, so appealing to you?
I enjoy all aspects of Eve, the community, my fellow bloggers, the people I help out with artwork and design, the people I've met and talked to at CCP, the universe, the stars, the planets, yadda yadda. I respect and appreciate that everyone that participates in Eve has their own opinion and personal preference in how they decide to approach that participation. God bless them all from CareBear to NC slave to Goon to Pirate to Ninja to Spy to Builder and beyond. We need you all. The universe needs you and I need you.
Eve is beautiful. It is that visual beauty that first attracted me to the universe. And it has only gotten better with age, the stars, the planets, some of the ships (like the Scorpion!) and soon even more, have only added to that beauty. For me however, all of that above stuff is only the tapestry. The pieces of a quilt that adds up to one simple yet incredibly beautiful moment... the split second when it all explodes.
It is a Ballet of Battle, a Symphony of Death and Destruction, a bombastic display of orchestral maneuvers that, when it rarely all comes together perfectly, is beautiful beyond description. From 400 versus 400 fleet battles (when the server doesn't choke on it) to small gang dancing, the battles of Eve are the true expression of the primal, tribal, primate within us all. In its purest form it is expressed in one man versus one man, one machine against another machine. But in all its forms, it is incredibly beautiful.
And not just the act itself, but the ceremonial acts that proceed it, the dance around systems, the warping to and fro, the ejecting of probes, the penetration of gates, the almost sexual exuberance that pointing, scramming, webbing, orbiting, drones, missiles, bullets, lazors, tanking, propulsion, trajectories, active, passive, range, death, explosion and podding... whew. I need a cigarette.
I love it. These are the instruments of death, our ships, our skills, our training and trial, these are the instruments of incredible beauty and they are my hands, my mind and my heart. The tapestry is abundance, wealth, diversity and style - but in Eve, true beauty lies in destruction.
BLOG BANTER LINKS:
Sometimes the sum of the parts...
The Beauty Between the Lines
The Beauty of Eve
Freedom: the beauty in EVE
- CrazyKinux's Musing: Beyond nebulas and shiny ships
- Freedom: the beauty in EvE » A Mule In EvE
- Achernar: The bike and the barbecue
- where the frack is my ship?: Blog Banter 26: Love at first sight
- BlogBanter 26: EVE … beautiful … « One capsuleer against all
- Blog Banter 26 « Mad Haberdashers
- » Blog Banter 26: Beauty of EVE – To Boldly Go To Boldly Go
- Down By Law: Blog Banter #26: "The Beauty of EVE" (OOC)
- Blog Banter #26 – Beauty « Roc's Ramblings
- Banter #26: Beauty is in the eye of the markets | Diary of a Garbageman
- Progression's Horizon: Blog Banter 26- Carry It With Us, Or We Find It Not
- Blog Banter 26: The Beauty of Eve « A Scientist's Life in Eve
- Freebooted: BB26: The Beauty Between the Lines
- Eve Opportunist: EBB #26 : Beauty is destruction.
- Blog banter #26: EVE shines, and not just visually « Diary of a Pod Pilot
- Learning to Fly - Spinning ships since 2003
- BB26: Beauty, in certain conditions | A Missioneer in Eve
- Dying in Lowsec (One Hauler at a time)
- EVE Blog Banter #26 – Beauty « Evehermit's Blog