Dilation

 


I learned a valuable lesson yesterday - do not try and play Eve after you've had your eyes dilated at the Eye Doctors. I had my annual check-up yesterday and everything is fine, thanks for asking, but I did have my eyes dilated and then tried to play Eve. It did not go well.

Mostly this wasn't entirely due to the dilation. It was also because I had a LOT on my mind and didn't have my head in the game. Life man, sometimes it is just a lot to deal with. I'm sure if you are reading this you already know what I'm talking about. And you have your own list of crap you have to deal with. We all do. And while Eve can often be an escape from those weights, or a much needed distraction, it can also often be a little much to deal with.

Years ago I created a rule for myself to help me deal with days like yesterday. I decided that, unless it was an event like our FFAs, if I lost two ships in a day I would log-off. There have been some exceptions for wars, or fights, or whatnots - but generally speaking I've adhered to that rule pretty well over the years. But again, yesterday I was not in the right frame of mind and ended up losing four ships. Which is extremely unusual for me.

What is even more unusual is that every single one was avoidable. And on a normal day, none of those ships would have been lost. This is both frustrating and annoying to me. Eve is a game that requires a lot of concentration and dedication - both of which are normally not issues for me. But we all have our days. And yesterday was one of those for me.

I don't have any earth-shaking wisdom to give you today. Except this I suppose. Just remember we are all human and we all make mistakes, or lapses of judgement, or experience bad luck from time to time. Try not to get too worked up about it. Tomorrow is a new day, a time to start fresh and jump back into the saddle again. It is, after all, just pixels.

Later today when I log in I'll jump into another ship and undock for more adventures. And hopefully all the bright bits on my monitor won't be yelling at me like they were yesterday.

The struggle is real.

Do you have any personal self-regulating rules about your own play in Eve Online?