The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

 


Wow, I haven't written one of these since April! If you are not aware of this blog post feature, this is when I tell you all about the horrible decisions I make in fights sometimes, the weird little coincidences, and the amazing acts of daring-do that happen on a daily basis. Good, Bad & Ugly.  I make no pretense about my abilities in Eve Online. I don't pretend to be anything other than what I am. 

So, without further blathering - here are some recent fights.

The Ugly - Lachesis Tackle

This just happened yesterday. I don't use a Lachesis much, it is primarily something I keep on hand to catch mission runners with. So it was the perfect ship to use to catch this Vexor yesterday that Daniel spotted running one. I went in first. The plan was to catch the Vexor and hold it until my friends could arrive and share the spoils. Everything went according to plan and I held my dps - except for my drones. Which, sadly, killed the poor guy before anyone else could arrive. Sigh. Daniel and I did finish the room and I got to explode a giant NPC station - for really terrible loot. I think I did this Vexor pilot a favor tbh.

The Bad - Slicer Vs Thorax

99.9% of the time this play would either work out great or I'd be able to just pull range and warp off. Which means .1% of the time you slide into a Cruiser that is purposefully fitted to catch you and you get blapped really hard for 35 seconds and die horribly. Which is exactly what happened here. Grumble Grumble.

The Good - Us Vs Cane Fleet

I'm including this one because of the story behind it. We popped out in Providence leaving Thera the other day after a great roam in Cache, Pochven and Thera. And one jump from 9UY and in my old stomping grounds of Provi - this Hurricane Fleet Issue lands on the gate with us. So Prda goes aggro on it and gets point while the rest of us wait to see what they do. The ship starts to align away when suddenly the pilot DCs or logs off and it is just sitting there pilotless. So we all start shooting it. Right as it is about to pop the pilot pops back into the ship and manages to get their pod out. Never change Providence, never change.

The Ugly - Thrasher Fleet Vs Slicer

Like I said, I own up to my mistakes. My eyes were dilated and I wrote an entire post about this earlier this week, but this is the one that almost broke me. I had plenty of time to avoid this fight and yet it never even registered with me, I think I was totally spacing out. You'd think that after 15 years of playing this game that things like this would stop bothering you - but I believe that people who say things like that are lying. It bothers me. I hit myself several times, said some profane and funny things to myself, and went back and re-shipped into a Comet which I managed to lose in the very next fight. It was not a good day for me.

The Good - Exeq Vs Exeq

Oh man, I thought for sure I was going to die. Navy Exeqs have become as common as the common cold in low sec, these ships are everywhere. Personally I think everyone has gone a little nuts with them. They are solid ships and in gangs they can be scary at times, but they have limitations just like anything else. But when you slide into one and it suddenly starts doing insane amounts of damage, well you know you are about to have a bad day. And yet.. if you don't panic, stay calm, and do the things you've learned to do a thousand times - you might just pull out a miracle. Polarized Exeqs are scary, but they die too.

This is why Eve continues to provide entertainment day after day, year after year. You never know what will happen next and as much as you train, learn, and improve - there is always a surprise waiting around the next encounter. This is why we undock.

See you in space.