Special Porpoise 2

 


I killed my first Porpoise back in 2017 and wrote a compelling and riveting post about it you can read here. 

Since then they remain a rare site in Low Sec, most often you'll spot them around an Athanor with a fleet of mining ships or out in some Ore site aligned to a station. In fact, since that first encounter back in 2017 I've only managed to grab five more of them over the years. That is how rare they are. Of course part of that is that I don't hunt Porpoises on purpose. Sorry, I had to use that line somewhere.

I didn't have a lot of time to play yesterday and I couldn't join the Stay Frosty roam planned because I had real life stuff to do. So while our team was busy forming up in Letta I was busy warping around to see if I could get into any trouble. Which is when I spotted the Porpoise on scan. There was only one Ore site in local so I didn't even bother to scan it, I just warped over there. It was empty. That's weird. It was still on scan. Possibly at an Athanor? So I finally started scanning for it and lo and behold it was in a belt!

I jumped on comms and told our fleet about it. I was already sitting cloaked 16k from the ship and he was busy mining rocks with his drones. As an aside here, have you seen drone mining lately? It's amazing. It certainly has come a long way over the years visually. I admit I mostly watched his drones mining while I tackled him and started shooting. Oh and I called the team in.

Now I could've just taken the Porpoise for myself. A nice solo kill in my Astero. But everything in Eve is better with your friends and I was already feeling bad about having to miss the fleet. So what better way to start a roam than with a nice Porpoise kill? I can't think of one.

I suspect the poor guy was AFK as his drones just continued mining up until Saint Michael killed them all. We had a great time holding him down and waiting for every last member to show up and get on the kill. I know that sounds harsh but my Wife was laughing at our antics, so it was worth it.

Eventually the Porpoise exploded.

I admit, not the world's greatest Porpoise tale. But it is one that really happened here in a place we call - Eve Online.