I have an idea I've been ruminating over for several months now and it has to do with legacy spaceship designs. You know, the suitcase Moa, the weird Scorpion, the increasingly old designs that helped define Eve Online. Now a lot of players keep popping up on Facebook and Reddit with these images every so often asking for them to be returned to the game. It's starting to become a trend, much like Walking In Stations. Or, not that long ago, Alliance logos on ships.
But I've got an alternative concept that I believe actually makes sense. Bear with me a minute.
FC always struggles with log-in rewards and free stuff around the Holidays or special events. We get skillpoints, boosters, that weird "logos on your ship" currency they invented, and maybe a Gnosis or a Metamorphosis. All well and good. I do enjoy some free stuff now and then. And if it helps retain or bring in players, so much the better.
But why not include an old model every once in awhile? A "Legacy" model. The type of ship could be easily tied to the promotion. And you only get one. No BPO/BPC, just a single model to either fly around or enjoy in your collection. Maybe with a new "Legacy" skin available in the Eve Store? Don't look at me, I'm only a marketing genius.
If you really want to be evil, then make them only available in the Eve Store for a price. But then you risk having Jita blown up and losing 7% of your subscription base. For my money, I'd stick with the giveaways.
I'd personally enjoy an old Caracal or Scorpion model in my hangar. The whole thing could just be like a special hull-based skin, the ship otherwise acts and flies exactly like the more modern version. Nothing special other than looks.
As Eve speeds off into the future its legacy is something it needs to grapple with. And I believe this is one way it could do so, while also having some fun. And I think most players would appreciate it.
What do you think?


Comments